This year I decided to limit my Favourite Bluegrass Albums of the Year to ten titles; not only is that a manageable number, it was a place where I noticed a natural break between albums I listened to repeatedly and those that I quite enjoyed but didn’t return to after reviewing.
The following didn’t make my top ten, but are albums I’ve also seen listed in high esteem elsewhere. All are recommended:
Mark Stoffel- Coffee & Cake; Jake Blount- Spider Tales; The Gina Furtado Project- I Hope You Have a Good Life; Jesse McReynolds & Friends- Play the Bull Mountain Moonshiners’ Way; and Sideline- Breaks to the Edge.
So, what did make my 2020 Favourite Bluegrass Albums of the Year list?
1. Special Consensus Chicago Barn Dance
2. Dale Ann Bradley & Tina Adair- Oh Darlin
3. The SteelDrivers- Bad For You
4. High Fidelity– Banjo Picker’s Blues
5. Appalachian Road Show- Tribulation
6. Phil Leadbetter & the All-Stars of Bluegrass- Swing For the Fences
8. Carolina Blue- Take Me Back
9. Rock Hearts- Starry Southern Nights
Let’s hope that the crop of 2021 is as strong!